The 24th World Petroleum Congress (WPC) was held in Calgary from September 17 to 21, 2023. The conference is the world’s leading assembly for the petroleum industry.
This week on the podcast, Jackie and Peter discuss some conference themes, including the lively discussion on the future of oil demand and the decarbonization of oil and gas. They also debate whether the industries’ messaging about the likelihood of higher oil and gas demand in the future needs to be adjusted to address the concerns this raises for achieving climate goals.
Jackie and Peter also share interviews they took part in at the event, including:
- Shaikh Nawaf S. Al-Sabah, the Deputy Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Kuwait Petroleum Corporation (“KPC”)
- Mark Thomas, Group Chief Executive Officer, Bapco Energies
- Jyoti Gondek, Calgary’s Mayor
- Joy Romero, Executive Advisor Innovation at Canadian Natural Resources Limited and President at CRIN (Clean Resources Innovation Network)
- Kevin Krausert, CEO and Co-Founder at Avatar Innovations Inc.
- Gillian McCormack, National Director, Clients & Industries at Bennett Jones
- Taryn Humphreys, Director of Business Development at Qube Technologies
- Eric Petursson, Director of Commercial at Entropy Inc.
- Katie Smith-Parent, Business Development, Industry Diversification at Spartan Controls
- Cindy Yeilding, Director, Denbury Inc.
- Harrie Vredenburg, Professor of Strategy and Sustainability, Haskayne School of Business, Research Fellow, School of Public Policy, University of Calgary
- Dean Tucker, Chief Operating Officer and Vice Chair of the Board for the World Petroleum Congress
Content referenced in this podcast:
- See Peter’s art exhibit at Heritage Park, titled “Those Who Have Seen the Invention Pronounce it Wonderful: A Modernist View of the History of Light”, learn more here: https://heritagepark.ca/exhibits/history-of-lightbulb/
Please review our disclaimer at: https://www.arcenergyinstitute.com/disclaimer/
Check us out on social media: